Monday, March 2, 2015

Book Review: "At Home In Mitford" by Jan Karon

I like to think of myself as a colorful reader. Seriously. I read anything. But, my favorite kind of book is one that creates a small community of crazy, unforgettable characters. I love the feeling of wanting to go back on vacation to my favorite place in bookville. 


Here I am reading "At Home In Mitford" on my anniversary vacation 


That is exactly what "At Home In Mitford" did to me. I found myself wanting to walk into the Local for some groceries or check out the special at the Grill. I could almost taste a Baxter apple or smell aroma of antique wood at Oxford Antiques. Jan Karon painted a beautiful story when she wrote "At Home In Mitford". 

The main character is lifelong bachelor Father Tim, a Episcopal priest. He lives a pretty placid life consumed with parish duties and community activities. Until one day when that all begins to change with the introduction of a dog the size of a Buick that he names, Barnabus. This sets his world into a bit of a tail spin. Barnabus, that is only calmed by scripture, gives Father Tim something that his life has been missing, companionship. But, this is hardly the end of the adventures when his life is quickly invaded by a dirt-covered, love-starved and ill-mannered boy named Dooley Barlowe who arrives at his church office looking for a place to "take a dump". 

In the mix of all of this Father Tim is horrified to admit that he can't stop thinking about his new neighbor, Cynthia Coppersmith. An author of children's books about her cat, that Barnabus is determined to get a bite of. 

We are also introduced to the lovable and free-spirited Miss Sadie Baxter that will change the little town of Mitford forever, a red haired God send named "Puny" Bradshaw that becomes the Father's housekeeper and friend. A group of men that meet at the Grill every morning for breakfast and a whole lot more local characters that makes Mitford a gem of a town.  

Mitford is a sweeter-than-life town with just enough reality to keep you wanting to come back for more. I recommend this book for anyone needing a vacation from the daily hustle and bustle.




Until next time...



Katie B




No comments :

Post a Comment